Sunday, February 2, 2014

Lesson #72: Look and Plan

I like when we can switch things up a bit and do something different. Last week, we worked on a lot of bending on the flat and it was TOUGH. Today, Sheri changed things up and we got into some simple jumps. I have to admit, part of me dreads jumping because I'm simply not very good at it... and I almost always over-think things. Sure, it's kind of exciting... but when it comes right down to it, I am still learning and I don't like it when I accidentally catch the horse in the mouth when I'm not properly set up. I suppose it just feels like a failure and I don't like to 'fail'.

We start with our balance in the 2-point at the trot. Posting trot, sitting trot and double up and down posting, standing... we're basically working on our balance during movement. Next, add in ground poles in an oblong oval that is narrow enough where we ought to be paying attention to what we're asking and when; look and plan. This is not something that we are ever allowed to forget. In fact, it needs to become second nature in many ways so that our mounts know what we want of them. Last week, we learned that often we are required to look quite far in advance so that our mounts know what we want of them, otherwise they can only make a best guess. And often that best guess is what's easiest for them and not generally what we want--even if they're capable of something more challenging.

It's far from being easy at this point because there is simply so many moving parts that I am still working on putting together. But, I know when I focus and think about all the things I have to do, things are possible. After a few times over the flat, jumps are put together for us and we're asked to do them at the trot. Ariel is a total firecracker today (really, is that any different than any other day?) and she's being her usual sassy self and she zips towards the jumps because I think she actually just likes to jump! But, she's such a good teacher for jumps because she just goes ahead and gets set-up for whatever it is that is put in front of her and lets you figure out your own thing. Even after riding Quinn, I still adore this mare because she makes the ride so much fun! It was last week when I blurted out "I love riding mares!" to everyone's surprise.

Anyways, despite my need to continue to work at some of the things like my balance, equitation and reducing the over thinking part, I have a very fruitful ride and I let Ariel do her mini "spazz outs" periodically while maintaining our goals for the lesson.

Posting Diagonal Jar Tally: = 2 x $2.00 = $4.00
To date: $79.00

No comments:

Post a Comment