Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Royal Visit to the Horse Show

Things never get boring my way, apparently. To continue with my interesting week, I head to the Royal for the evening horse show with +ADW and the rest of the stable for some well deserved time to relax and enjoy myself. And what an evening it was!!! This was the first time I had been to the evening show and it was so much fun. I had no idea that it was an entire evening of horsey related events starting at 6:45pm. The first set of showing was the jumper classes. As we walked into the arena, the jumps came into view and I could see that they were probably as tall as I was. Yikes! I can barely get over the jumps I've been doing lately that these are really intimidating.

There were two classes of jumpers and in the second class, we got to see Captain Canada jump with Star Power. It was such an amazing few minutes because I can totally see why Ian is an Olympic star--his consistent flow and the clean jumps were incredible to watch.

This is the best I could do with my cell phone :(
Then they had the lady single road horse division which was just a driving session with a bunch of ladies driving their horseys which was neat to watch because I couldn't quite figure out how the drivers were steering their horses or changing gaits.

Driving
Next was the wagon and heavy draft horse driving which was amazing to watch because I <3 Clydesdales a lot (there were other heavy draft horses too).

Clydesdales!
Finally, we got to the Shetland Pony racing which was a bunch of 8-10 year old kids who get on the spunky Shetland and then go racing around while going over little cavaletti type jumps. Let me tell you, it was the highlight of my night! But sadly, there was a big crash and 2 rider-pony combos were unseated and there was definitely concern among the spectators. Nobody was horribly injured (to my knowledge) but it sure was scary when they went down.

Kids racing around on ponies!
It was the evening for us... there was an indoor eventing session next but we had to head home to medicate the fur-babies so off we went but boy was I disappointed because those eventing jumps are some wild jumps with steps and unknown drops! Perhaps another time I'll get the opportunity to check out the eventing because it's supposed to be even more interesting than the jumper class!

No comments:

Post a Comment