Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Need to Persist

It's been months that I've participated in my personal fitness level. And I am certain that my riding has slowly deteriorated alongside. Last night, I resolved to return to my fitness routine, and start my new year's resolutions of getting active regularly. One of my favourite activities is yoga. I specifically enjoy the demanding and fast paces of Ashtanga that push the yogi to breathe properly and gets the blood flowing. Not having done anything for so long and recognizing I have developed some physical imbalances/issues, I wasn't sure what would transpire.

I don't want to be a pear, anymore!

When I was in undergrad, I had a coop term where the office I worked had regular lunch hour yoga sessions. I was interested and since it was during lunch, I didn't have to go anywhere else after/before work. I wasn't particularly active in my youth so it was no surprise that the first class I got in, I was out of breath, trembling from the demands of the sun salutations, unable to touch my toes and having trouble keeping up with the instructions. Not to mention, I was so sore for the first week that I couldn't turn my head over my shoulder. But, for 4 months, I doggedly worked at it and one day, was about to touch my toes with ease and easily moved into the supported headstand.

Gone are those days of ease in practice but surprisingly, I found that my body has incredible muscle memory and I was able to get into many of the poses and positions still... I just lacked the extent of flexibility, strength and endurance to maintain poses as previous. I also confirmed my suspicions about my right side and my hip and shoulder is messed up--not sure what exactly is wrong but they're tight. I left feeling pretty good about myself and resolve to continue. However, this morning, I woke up with my legs and arms feeling like jelly. I think with persistence, this will pay off and my pants might stop feeling so tight, my hips might loosen again and my shoulder might actually do what its supposed to.

4 comments:

  1. getting back into the routine is tough but worth it! i've always wanted to try yoga too.. maybe one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. totally. i've been struggling with that since i moved. i'm just trying to find the middle ground for everything and i'm constantly making mistakes but i am certainly getting closer :) yoga is amazing for riders! it opens your chest, your hips and strengths your core. all aspects that riders need to have in good order! :)

      Delete
  2. I did a brief stint of yoga sessions during college and it was so good, I'd love to get back into it. Do you take classes now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm not regularly taking classes... and tend towards home practice if i can find the focus to do so :P

      i find that going to class really pushes you to actually do it as well as getting proper alignment/posture. but i was doing it so frequently in my younger days that i was really understanding what it meant to get deeper into postures and have a book by david swenson. however, i would supplement a private/semi-private every few months to brush up on what i was doing.

      Delete