Friday, June 12, 2015

Lesson #184: Saddles

Lately, I've been having a good experience with Ariel in the paddocks. She comes towards me when I arrive and call her. She isn't ignoring me like she has done in the past and best, she isn't trying to turn tail and run the other way! She had her feet done though, so she was a bit sore and getting her to do anything was a full effort. And I am way out of shape. But we all already knew that.

The warm up was really challenging because I was trying to keep her straight, in the arena and willing to walk over the water puddle. She was completely difficult and being crabby about it all. She's just feeling a little toe sore so no jumping (phew) and working on my position, says Sheri. Easier said than done, my friends!! This was definitely a challenge for me to accomplish all that, and keep focused on where I wanted to go. Needless to say, we were pretty messy up there.

Eventually we got into the canter and what I was asked to do is go into a half seat and just ride her like I'm a racing jockey. Round and round we go! She wanted to slow down but I said "no way. We continue to go". It was not easy and it's the first time I have had to really push her to move forward. It's something I haven't had to deal with, with Ariel, like ever. I was most certainly huffing and puffing.

Deb sure was insistent tonight. But I got the better of her a few times!--Ariel 

Our last exercise was trotting around without stirrups. I have definitely been handsy with Ariel but she was being difficult! The aim here? Flow together like we're dancing. I am sure it was less of a flowing ballroom dance and more of a jerky Elaine dance. I was told to let go with my knees (gripping), readjust my lower leg position so I wasn't leaning forward, pulsating squeezes to encourage forward movement. In all that effort, we discovered that the saddle is probably too small for me.

I am on my way to becoming sucked into this whole thing (as if I wasn't already drinking the koolaid!) and turning into a tack whore. Okay that's not entirely true. But I always said, I'm not going to get a saddle unless I own a horse. I started out getting all decked out in the appropriate riding gear. I still wear regular tshirts and such but breeches I have and a helmet and riding gloves for all seasons. Then I moved onwards... to saddle pads and a bridle. Now I have started to consider a saddle!

Our conversations about saddles was typically just in passing. I always thought that as long as it fits the horse and it is generally good for riders, we're good. Wrong. No wonder this is such an expensive sport... the saddle must fit both team members for optimal efficiency. I sort of always thought that and I found out that one of the reasons I tend to lean forward is because of the saddle!! Yes, it's not an absolute explanation but it certainly does contribute to things. And those tough as nails types would say, just suck it up. A good rider can ride without a saddle (that's true) so just learn to ride without one!

We'll look into this a bit more.. in case any readers in the Ontario area might know of a suitable saddle, I'm looking for a medium tree with a size of 17 or so with a lower pommel. For those saddle whores out there, you probably know WAY more so feel free to add details and comment! I certainly don't claim to be an expert of any nature about this stuff!

9 comments:

  1. After riding a plethora of school horses during my first year lessons, I can attest that some saddles were easier to work with than others. It was just for 30 minutes at a time though so I saw it as a challenge to make the most of whatever I was given and bring out the best in each horse I rode.

    If you do want to get a saddle and cost + versatility are bigger priorities than fancy looks, take a look at synthetic saddles with adjustable gullets. I started out my saddle search that way and ended up getting an used Throrowgood. It has a fixed gullet but it fits both Quest and me just fine for our purposes now. We'll probably graduate to something nicer in a couple years but it is a great first saddle.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome! thanks for the advice. i do agree with you that i would probably just make do with what i have in the meantime since i'm don't own my own horse or ride daily. maybe eventually but i'm certainly not in a rush.

      Delete
  2. a saddle can definitely make a difference, but one that fits the rider poorly is not always the terrible thing that some will make it out to be. i rode in a crappy saddle for YEARS without much issue, and only ever considered buying one for my lease mare when the saddle clearly didn't fit HER. and even then i chose a saddle with an adjustable gullet and wool flocking so that it can presumably work for future horses too. (there's a 'saddle shopping' tag on my blog that links to all the related posts, complete with references and useful website).

    it's a big investment so hopefully you aren't feeling pressured to buy. tho it can also be awesome having your own tack.. so if you do decide do buy, happy hunting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the advice! i will definitely be checking out your "saddle shopping" tag. and i'm not feeling pressured... just thinking about it since i find that most of my struggles are coming from my own physical limitations so sometimes i wonder. no rush... just something to think about :)

      Delete
  3. As someone who has only ridden lesson horses and leased horses, I know the process. I started with necessary gear(breeches, boots, gloves) then got two bridles, a bit, grooming supplies, a pad and a half pad. I didn't reach the saddle point, but I learned the importance of saddle fit because the half pad was actually a special with foam inserts in it to make the saddle fit. Happy saddle hunting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! i think i'll be holding out a bit longer though since there are a few options at the stable i can do... i think a perfect saddle fit would take time but i have a hard time justifying a saddle without owning my own horse or riding way more... hopefully i don't get too carried away with anything else for the time being :P

      Delete
  4. The saddle I am using currently was custom made for Be B and her owner, but unfortunately is a bit too small for me. My trainer says it hinders my cantering a little bit as there is not enough room (!) for my bum to slide front and back. My previous lease horse used a Wintec which is a synthetic saddle with an adjustable tree that can be adapted to fit most horses. They are considerably less expensive than leather and are versatile since they should be able to fit any horse. The downside is they are not premium, premium quality and the sticky finish of them can hold you in a less than optimal position if you are not careful. I definitely prefer leather, but as you do not know own it seems this might be a good way to go if you can't find a used leather saddle that fits. I don't have any experience with saddle fitting but I always hear people talking about this issue and even with a custom saddle there are problems as the horse changes in musculature. It is a big road to start down, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS, I didn't know you had your own bridle! I am such a nerd but I want more details. :-)

      Delete
    2. LOL! the swinging of your bum is the same thing for me. i find that things work better in a 17" saddle than a 16.5". but, i'll leave it for now since it isn't the worst thing that could potentially happen. i might start looking for a saddle IF i have the money... but it is definitely not high on the list for me.

      and yes, i have my own bridle. i've been meaning to put together a post about cleaning my bridle but i haven't gotten around to it... will come together for sure this summer though! thanks for reminding me!!

      Delete